Sunday, December 18, 2011

beware: Kool Aid drinker here




I drank the kool aid.

I received the Merrill Pace Gloves as an early christmas present. I've walked around the house in them; ran through the house in them; ran through REI in them.

I'm scared.

I'm scared because they feel really really good on my feet.

Am I turning into one of them?

Those frog-feet, vibram wearers? I used to laugh at them. Ok, sometimes I still chuckle a bit. It just looks so funny. I read about the vibrams in an old Runner's World article written by Peter Sagal. I laughed as I read the article. I smirked at frog-footed people on the bike trail.

It just seemed so weird. So odd. So funny-looking.
I tried the darn vibrams a few times. My toes didn't fit right. And my bunion doesn't work in such tight un-adjustable shoes. I dismissed the whole "minimalist" shoe thing as a "fad". Afterall, if Vibrams didn't fit my feet how good could they be?

Then I read Krista's blog and I had a few friends run 50ks and 50 milers after training in Merrill's.

And here I am wearing the non-frog footed equivalent--and the Merrill Pace gloves feel real good. Real. Good.

I'm starting with only a half mile run in them tomorrow and I'll see what happens. Just don't call me Lizard Lady.

3 comments:

  1. NICE!!! You will be addicted to running in them. They will feel as though you are running in next to nothing. I love my Pace Gloves. I have a pair of the Merrell Dash Gloves as well (due out in February/March of next year) which are specifically designed for road running. They are just as comfy but seem a little less flexible. Still seem to be a good shoe. Eventually I will do a review on them.

    Glad to hear you are going to take it slow. If you haven't worn minimal shoes before you will need to be patient with your transition. Listen to your body and give yourself plenty of rest between runs.

    Curious what you think and how you're doing. Hope you had a great holiday and have a fabulous New Year1

    ReplyDelete
  2. So are you enjoying them? The most "minimal" I have gone so far are the Saucony Kinvara! Love them. But I have been eyeing the Merrell's as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy them but am getting frustrated at trying to build up slowly! I always want to go do my easy 4 or 5 mile runs in them, but I know I have to start with only 1/2 mile and then add a little bit. So I've been running in my regular shoes and then quickly change to the Merrells and do the last half mile or so in those.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Please feel free to comment on the post or just say, "Hi"!!!

Well this just happened... Guess I should start writing again...