Monday, December 7, 2009

Neither Rain, nor sleet, nor snow....



Saturday was a bust in terms of exercise. It was hubby’s birthday so I went ahead and spent the day with him. We hung out, went shopping, got dinner, watched “Angels & Demons”.. It was a lot of fun.

Sunday, I rode the infamous Shirland Tract in Auburn. This area is a part of the Auburn Half Ironman Bike course.

The part I covered yesterday has average 4.7% elevation grade.
Total climbing yesterday 3000+ feet
Mileage= 13
Time to complete=1.25 hours

OUCH!

There are sections that are 45% grade. I rode everything. I did not walk up any hills. My speed sometimes went down to 4.5 mph and I was in granny gear, but I did it!!! During the decent down Auburn-Folsom Road, it began to rain/slushy snow pelt us and the wind gusts picked up. But we finished our ride before the storm really struck. I have to say—I feel pretty darn studly for riding in that weather. Yeah me!

Riding also helped take my mind off the fact that I was missing my marathon yesterday. CIM went on without me. :( Next year????

My riding partner suggested I ride Shirland Tract and the first part of the Auburn bike course every weekend and slowly add distance so by May, I have ridden the whole bike course a few times. I think this is a good suggestion –I would also like to do a little bit of transition run after the bike—to get my legs ready for trail running after a long hilly bike ride.

Anyway, that’s it for today. It snowed in Sacramento last night and our front lawn was covered in snow/ice. Very pretty!

3 comments:

  1. Nice ride! Glad you find snow in Sacramento to be very pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds liek a helluva trail ride. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you win the badass award for that ride! I would love to do that race someday. Not sure about flying out to a race, tho, that makes me so nervous that they'll put it together all wrong!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Please feel free to comment on the post or just say, "Hi"!!!

Well this just happened... Guess I should start writing again...